To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom, or visit the Episode Index.
Jerusalem Farm is a Catholic intentional community located in Kansas City, MO. Built on the four cornerstones of Prayer, Community, Service and Simplicity and guided by the Gospel Message and Catholic Social Teaching, they strive to transform their lives and those around them through service retreat experiences, sustainable living and home repair.
* * *
SLW! New Service: The Simple Living NUDGE
- What Is The NUDGE?
- How It Works
- How Do It Get It
- How Do It Share It
- More About Holidays
- June — various aspects of Alternative Giving
* * *
Recent Responses to All SLW! Media
Welcome to the other podcast I co-host/produce, The Common Good Podcast.
- Episode 70–Tom Sine
- Live Like You Give a Damn! Join the Changemaking Celebration! Get Tom Sine’s new book (also, text and video testimonials). Videos: The Future of the Church (27 min.), from which this podcast was adapted; Tom Sine Interviews Mark Scandrette, author of FREE: Spending Your Time and Money on What Matters Most (15 min.); An Invitation to Join the Changemaking Celebration (2:33); The Future of the Church (1:42); Tom’s writings for Alternatives: Reflections for Advent and Christmas for Alternatives’ “Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?” #9.
- Tom’s new blog: New Changemakers: Join the Changemaking Celebration!
Besides his classic “The Mustard Seed Conspiracy,” his other books include “The New Conspirators: Creating a Future One Mustard Seed at a Time” (2008); “Mustard Seed vs McWorld: Reinventing Life and Faith for the Future” (1999); “Cease Fire: Searching for Sanity in America’s Culture Wars” (1995) and “Live It Up! How To Create A Life You Can Love” (1993). Together he and Christine co-authored “Living On Purpose: Finding God’s Best for Your Life” (2002).
Tom and Christine live in an inter-generational community in Seattle. At the Mustard Seed House, he’s known as Research & Hospitality Guy.
“Video interview courtesy of Cascade Books, an imprint of Wipf and Stock Publishers, www.wipfandstock.
- Episode 69–Walter Brueggemann, renowned Biblical scholar and author. Sabbath is so much more than a day off! Sabbath as Resistance: Saying NO to the Culture of NOW // Walter Brueggemann‘s web site: About, Books, Audio/Video || Wikipedia Brueggemann is surely one of the most influential Bible interpreters of our time. He is the author of over one hundred books and numerous scholarly articles. He continues to be a highly sought-after speaker. Born in Tilden, Nebraska in 1933, he often speaks of the influence of his father, a German Evangelical pastor. Brueggemann attended Elmhurst College, Eden Theological Seminary, Union Theological Seminary, earning the Th.D. under the primary guidance of James Muilenburg, and a Ph.D. in education at St. Louis University. Brueggemann has served as faculty at two institutions in his career: Eden Theological Seminary (1961-1986) and Columbia Theological Seminary (1986-2003). He is currently William Marcellus McPheeters professor emeritus of Old Testament at Columbia.Originally a strong supporter of Israel and its Biblical claims, Brueggemann later repudiated Israel for its exploitation of “ancient promises” to create a “toxic ideology,” and now affirms his belief that it is not anti-Semitic to stand up for justice for Palestinians.W.B.’s Biblical Reflections for Alternatives’ “Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?” #1. // W.B.’s Foreword to Alternatives’ collection of new hymns Sing Justice! Do Justice! // Also MENTIONED: Death of Alternatives’ Founder
- Episode 68–Ed Fallon, Climate Action Activist, Lawmaker Turned Talk show Host: Ed Fallon bio, host of Fallon Forum
Founder of the Great March for Climate Action | Wikipedia | Facebook // Interview with Senator Rob Hogg, author of America’s Climate Century // David Zahrt’s Ruminations of the Great March for Climate Action // Also Mentioned: Non-commercial satellite/internet TV: Free Speech TV // LINK TV // RT America // New SLW! Service: Our Simple Living Daily Nudge. Get a free, brief nudge by email or Twitter.
- Episode 67–redmoonsong in North Carolina is a committed war tax resister among her many other activities. “Choosing Simple Living,” a post about redmoonsong on National War Tax Resister Coordinating Committee’s site, lists Jorgen Lissner’s Ten Reasons for Choosing a Simpler Lifestyle. Also, Practical War Tax Resistance #5: Low Income/Simple Living as War Tax Resistance // Jorgen Lissner’s Ten Reasons for Choosing a Simpler Lifestyle in SLW! collection Treasury of Celebrations. // War Tax Talk with Shane Claiborne // Charles Gray‘s classic, “Toward a Non-Violent Economics.” // Also Mentioned — “Organize His Way: A Christ-Centered Approach to Organizing Your Life” EileenKoffMinistries.com // Jerusalem Farm, urban communal living in Kansas City
SLW! Recommends Literacy Service
This service contains books (paper, eBooks, audio), video (DVD, internet), audio (CD, MP3), blogs, podcasts, sites. These are somewhat current resources. For classic resources, visit Study/Activity/Action Guides. For more ideas, go to Getting Started. Also see Champions of Simple Living and other worthwhile Links.
Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – JUNE
Tony & Shane UncutThe complete 3-1/2 hour straight talk between Tony Campolo and Shane Claiborne about simple living and global justice — episodes 20-27.
Vicki Robin, Cecile Andrews, John de Graaf, Duane Elgin and more!
Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold) | Share the Joy of a Simpler Lifestyle Through Speeches, Workshops, Events, Study/Action Groups, Simplicity Circles and Social Media + BONUS: Social Media Supplement // Self-Starters Needed! // Free coaching for groups on the internet
Jubilee Economics / The OneEarth Project colleague Lee Van Ham’s book Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, part of The OneEarth Project. Also, hear The Common Good Podcast, which I co-host and produce. || NEW three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals || Conversation about The OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham, including TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 || Lee’s Slide Show || Lee’s new blog series Jubilee Is Bigger Than We’d Thought: Permeates Scripture, Addresses Today’s Crises
Share your thoughts on this podcast and this episode. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments below, then check
SUBSCRIBE for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — listen to episodes #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, to educate and inspire you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.
IMAGE: Jessie Schiele and infant daughter at Jerusalem Farm
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * email@example.com
Click ABOUT for Music and Cover Art Credits.
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.