Free "Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?" to Seminary Students
Are you tired of the glut and stress of the typical North American commercial Christmas? Want some help getting your congregation to think about simplifying Christmas?
Alternatives has been working on this problem for over 30 years. Millions of copies of the Advent booklet "Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?" have been circulated.
Seminary students and staff may use free resources to share with your family, friends and the pastor of your congregation.
Simple Living Works! is the successor to Alternatives, an interdenominational, nonprofit organization. It continues the mission of "equipping people of faith to challenge consumerism, live justly, and celebrate responsibly." Started in 1973 as a protest against the commercialization of Christmas, it encourages celebrations year-round that reflect conscientious ways of living. Throughout its 38-year history, Alternatives led the movement to live more simply and faithfully. The many staff members and volunteers of Alternatives have developed a wide variety of resources, organized an annual Christmas Campaign, led numerous workshops, and reached countless people with the message of simple, responsible living. Alternatives emphasizes relationships and traditions over things, hoping to avoid stress and debt, and promoting alternative giving - helping the truly needy instead of spending so much on ourselves.
Free New Social Change E-zine
The Alternatives Reader, a free new web site e-zine, focuses on social change. Check it out at http://SimpleLivingWorks.org >> Archives >> Newsletters
More Free Resources to Seminarians
"Our hope is that graduates can learn techniques for simplifying their lives early in their ministries so that they are not overtaken by stress, debt and guilt," Iversen said. "Then they can help others simplify too."
Alternatives produced print collections, videos and other materials for children and adults on simple living and related topics (such as hunger, Care of Creation, media literacy, etc.) for Advent and Christmas, for Lent and Easter, for weddings and for year-round use (some in Spanish).
Simple Living Works! is an all-volunteer organization that sells nothing and does not solicit donations.
Free publications include:
- "Wedding Alternatives"
- Video "Break Forth into Joy!: Beyond a Consumer Lifestyle" won the Gold Medal in Religion and Ethics at an International Film Festival!
- "To Celebrate: Reshaping Holidays & Rites of Passage"
- "Treasury of Celebrations: Create Celebrations that Reflect Your Values and Don't Cost the Earth"
- "Stories & Songs of Simple Living" -- book, cassette, CD
- "Sing Justice! Do Justice!"
- "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" video
- "Simple Living 101: Toolbook for Activists"
- "'Living More with Less' Study/Action Guide"
- "Gifts of Peace" packet
- Collections of Christmas stories to read aloud or alone
- "Spirit of Simplicity: Quotes & Art" -- book & CD-ROM
- The widely read annual "Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?" for families, individuals, small groups... new each Advent.
- "Who's Risen from the Dead, Anyway?" Lent/Easter collection
- Annual "40 Day Guide for Lent"
- "The Christmas Game," "Carols with Justice" and "Buy Me Nothing. I'll Still Love You." ###
Editor: For your convenience, this release is available on-line at: SimpleLivingWorks.org >> About Us >> News
Resources for responsible living and celebrating since 1973
This page last updated 3 October 2012 (orignally 27 February 2003)
Simple Living Works! * SimpleLivingWorks@Yahoo.com
BLOG: SimpleLivingWorks.WordPress.com | Blog INDEX
PODCAST | Podcast INDEX
MISSION: Equipping people of faith to challenge consumerism, live justly and celebrate responsibly // An all volunteer educational organization.