- The Alternatives Quarterly (10 years)
- Best and Worst Christmas Gift Contest
- Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? booklet for families (10 years)
- Christmas Campaign for Congregations (packet for church leaders) (10 years)
- Lent/Easter packets (5 years)
- Alternate Celebrations Catalogs (6 editions)
- Various titles: "Voluntary Simplicity," "Simply Delicious: Quantity Cooking for Churches," "Those Who Speak for God." "Guide to World Hunger Organizations" (with Seeds Magazine), "Shalom Connections" and "Wedding Alternatives"
- Book Service Catalog
- A series of Bulletin Inserts for holidays and special occasions
- Three videos: "Alexander Scrooge," "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "Break Forth into Joy!"
- bought an old general store and moved to Ellenwood, Georgia
- established a membership plan and member newsletter
- Published three titles of reissued material with WoodLake Books: "Treasury of Celebrations," "Alternative Wedding Book" and "Simplify & Celebrate"
- Established a local corps of volunteers, a national Speakers Bureau (SLOw Down Network), and a national Support Service (ASSIST)
- Established an extensive web site: www.SimpleLiving.org
- Opened the Corner Store and Reading Room, and cataloged and organized an expanding library of over 3000 volumes
- Produced and marketed "Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?" in some 25 customized versions annually, including the Advent-Christmas calendar bulletin insert. Over two million copies have been circulated!
- Produced a Spanish version called "Adviento" annually since 1997
- Produced a 40-Day Lenten Guide in English annually and in Spanish (four years)
- Produced several new titles: "Stories and Songs of Simple Living" book, cassette and CD; "Simple Living Calendar for Any Year," "Sing Justice! Do Justice!" "Simple Living 101: Toolbook for Activists," "Carols with Justice" and "Spirit of Simplicity: Quotes & Art" - CD ROM and loose-leaf collection on voluntary simplicity and global justice
- In 2002, produced a CD-ROM, "Simply the Best: 30 Years of Alternatives," that included the bulk of our work to date
- Re-issued from other publishers' "Leader's Guide to 'Unplug the Christmas Machine' Workshop" and an updated edition of "Living More with Less Study Action Guide"
- Repackaged and marketed past resources, such as "The Christmas Game," "Christmas Campaign Kit" and "Who's Risen from the Dead, Anyway?"
- Expanded Trade Book titles and sales, introduced more videos, magazines and sidelines, such as bumper stickers, greeting cards, and Fair Trade items from Developing Countries
- Began distributing some resources by email.
- "Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?" annual audio CD
- Updated versions of CD-ROM, "Simply the Best: 30 Years of Alternatives"
- "Living Simply and Loving it!" audio CD
- Alternatives DVD Collection
- "Whose Birthday" DVD audio collection
- "Spirit of Simplicity" greeting cards
- "Spirit of Simplicity" guided journals
- Web-based audio service
- "The Anytime Game" (modeled after the popular "The Christmas Game")
- "Simple Choices" (adult game).
- Worship Alternatives CD ROM and packet
- Funeral Alternatives
- Alternate Celebrations (8th ed.)
- establishing a planned giving fund
- establishing an Honorary Board of Directors (see right)
As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, we receive income from grants, memberships, donations and sale of resources. Since this is a mission-driven rather than profit-driven organization, surplus income goes into projects to advance the mission.
Alternatives is operated by a small, committed staff. Our whole operation is lean and frugal. We practice as fully as possible the message we espouse every day.
If you would like to read our business and privacy policies, visit http://www.SimpleLiving.org/main/Policies.php
If you are in a position to help us reach some of our goals, please be in touch.
Thank you for your interest and support.
Gerald Iversen, National Coordinator
President, Bread for the World
Professor, Columbia Theological Seminary
author, speaker, educator
Founder & President,
Habitat For Humanity International
Co-op America (publisher of The National Green Pages)
John McConnell, founder of Earthday
author of Your Money or Your Life; Convenor of The Simplicity Forum
Ronald J Sider President
Evangelicals For Social Action
Center for a New American Dream
Sojourners Magazine Convener, Call to Renewal
Page updated 15 February 2013
Simple Living Works! * SimpleLivingWorks@Yahoo.com
BLOG: SimpleLivingWorks.WordPress.com | Blog INDEX
PODCAST | Podcast INDEX
MISSION: Equipping people of faith to challenge consumerism, live justly and celebrate responsibly // An all volunteer educational organization.