Archives: Christmas Pack #13
A Simple Christmas
Resources for Churches and Groups
- How to Use This Packet
- "What Is A Gift?" Reflection/Action Resource
- Guidelines for Alternative Giving
- Looking Behind the Cost of Christmas
- A Saint Nicholas Day Celebration
- An Epiphany Celebration
- "The Land of Sharing" Play
- Christmas Poster
- "Waiting for the Light" Advent Calendar
- "Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?" Christmas Booklet
A Simple Christmas : Alternative Resources for Church Leaders
Each year people in the U.S. spend over $32 billion on Christmas gifts. Seventy percent of our discretionary income is spent in November and December. We wait in long lines to place children on Santa's lap. We make Christmas gift lists and spend countless hours shopping. We bake, decorate, clean and cook. Unfortunately, we become so busy with the "stuff" of Christmas, we often forget the reason we celebrate.
The resources in this packet are designed to offer church leaders ways to
bring the focus back to the birth of Christ. By gathering for special events,
by taking time each day to reflect, by examining consumer and cultural pressures,
people can rediscover the joy and fulfillment promised by the birth of
- "What Is A Gift?" Reflection/Action Resource. This seven-session resource can be used in adult study groups to explore the meaning of gifts and giving.
- Guidelines for Alternative Giving. Use this resource to encourage people of all ages to set guidelines for their giving, including diverting a portion of Christmas expenditures to help those Christ came to serve.
- Looking Behind the Cost of Christmas. This four-session resource offers adult classes, youth groups or intergenerational groups ways to explore and resist consumer pressures at Christmas and throughout the year.
- A Saint Nicholas Day Celebration. Plan a special St. Nicholas Day celebration in church school classes, a worship service or special gathering using this resource.
- An Epiphany Celebration. This piece offers ideas for a special Epiphany event in church school classes, a worship service or special gathering.
- "The Land of Sharing" Play. This play encourages participants and audience alike to think about giving in The Land Where No One Has Anything. Use it for special holiday events in the church or community.
- Christmas Poster. Display this poster to create interest in alternative Christmas events.
- "Waiting for the Light" Advent Calendar. This calendar can be used during Advent in small groups or can be handed out to individuals to use at home.
- "Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?" Christmas Booklet. Use in small study groups or distribute to families in the congregation.
Many More Christmas Articles
Copyright Creative Commons (original ©1992, Alternatives)
Feel free to reprint on a not-for-profit basis.
Simple Living Works! * SimpleLivingWorks@Yahoo.com
BLOG: SimpleLivingWorks.WordPress.com | Blog INDEX
PODCAST | Podcast INDEX
MISSION: Equipping people of faith to challenge consumerism, live justly and celebrate responsibly // An all volunteer educational organization.