Simple Living Works! Monthly Digest
This complete digest, formerly posted weekly, is now updated at least weekly. It contains posts from both SLW! and other simple living sources.
The SLW! Weekly Nudge (focus on SLW!) and SLW! Weekly Digest (focus on colleague organizations) are available as part of a free subscription to SLW! Blog (When you arrive, click +Follow in lower right, add your email address, then confirm when email arrives.)
The free Daily Nudge is available by email -- send SUBSCRIBE to SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com -- or by Twitter @GeraldIversen.
Simple Living Works! Monthly Digest
In This Issue:
What's NOW with SLW!
What Others Are Doing - So Much Help!
I gladly pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn't read them all. Choose FIVE links -- including SLW! -- to investigate.
Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell) // Voluntary Simplicity archive // SLW! Podcast // SLW! Podcast #66
GodSpace (Christine Sine) // SLW! Podcast
The Good Stuff your dose of what's working in the world from The Story of Stuff Project!
Green Child eMagazine: Simplify for Happier, Calmer Kids
The Homesteading Guide Daily: Exploring life off the grid.
Jubilee Economics / Casa Jubileo (Lee Van Ham & Gerald Iversen)
A Living Earth Economy (David Korten - Yes! Magazine): How we can make peace with nature, realize the value of living wealth, and return to local, self-organized rule.
Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways - Finding good homes for no longer needed items rather than just putting them in the trash //SLW! Podcast // SLW! Podcast: Lent
Although I haven't written it yet, my mind has been working on the idea of "Letting Go of Hate." It's a follow up to my "Political Conversations" post. Stay tuned.
Live Simply (Third Way: Celeste Kennel-Shank)
Lutheran Peace Fellowship: Simple Living Resources // SLW! Podcast
The Minimalists podcast (Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus). Getting us past the things so we can make room for life's most important things -- which actually aren't things at all.
Mustard Seed Associates (Andy Wade)
New Changemakers: Join the Changemaking Celebration! (Tom Sine)
NorthWest Earth Institute's latest discussion course ebook, Sustainability Works: Rethinking Business As Usual // Change Is Our Choice: Creating Climate Solutions // Voluntary Simplicity // SLW! Podcast
The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham) // SLW! Podcast
The Pastoral Center/Gospel Living (Paul Canavese) // SLW! Podcast
PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough / Full Article Library
NEW weekly Prayer & Politiks (Ken Sehested): At the intersection of spiritual formation and prophetic action
Simple Enough (Bob Sitze) // SLW! Podcast
Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs) - Time, Finances, Home-Work, Health
Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
Simplicity Collective - Let us be pioneers once more (Samuel Alexander)
Simplicity Parenting (Kim John Payne): because it is a beautiful world
Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky of Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent) // SLW! Podcast
TransitionNetwork.org: Transition Towns--A movement of communities coming together to reimagine and rebuild our world
TreeHugger: Finding a Greener Future
For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! blog.
Upcoming Non-Conform-Freely Celebrations: Sept.-Dec. // Jan.-April
- Alternative Radio Podcast (David Barsamian)
- Becoming Minimalist (Joshua Becker)
- Center for a New American Dream
- Ideas to get more involved, both on an individual and a community level. From helping with hurricane relief efforts, to confronting racism in your community, there are plenty of ways to make a difference, with a couple pledges and challenges as well.
- NEW WAYS TO HELP
- Hurricane Relief: Another Way to Help. Did you know you can use SoKind to deliver the most-needed contributions – both material and non-material – to those who could use a helping hand?
- FIND OUT HOW
- Confronting Racism
Casey Williams, New Dream's Director of Operations and Outreach, makes the case for confronting racism through personal change, individual action, and community connection.READ MOREPLEDGE
- Yes to Waiting
The Wait Until 8th pledge empowers parents to rally together to delay giving children a smartphone until at least 8th grade. Research shows why kids are better off without the internet, social media, and games constantly at their fingertips.SIGN THE PLEDGEWORKING THE DREAMCHALLENGEROUNDUP
+ The dis-ease of being busy & how to pause
+ Bookmark this: Simple Rules for Living
+ How to make positive changes stick
+ Americans under 25 are bringing a new era of tolerance
+ Well-being for people & the planet happens through "purpose in action"
Susan Salterberg Interview
Susan Salterberg, from Univ. of Northern Iowa’s Center for Energy & Environmental Education, spoke with us about her work guiding K-12 educators to create lessons for their students around consumption, well-being, and sustainability.
Join the EcoChallenge
This October, the Northwest Earth Institute invites you to take on a personal sustainability challenge—and join thousands of other participants as they prove that small actions add up to real change—during the 2017 EcoChallenge.
FIND OUT MORE
- The Common Good Podcast - Check out the new site.
- Community Solutions: Founded in 1940, this non-profit organization advocates for small communities and the benefits of face-to-face relationships. Since 2003, the focus has been to provide resources for low-carbon living and to inspire collective, cooperative solutions in the face of peak energy and climate change.
- Creation Justice CAPSULES: News and Opportunities for Christians Doing Creation Justice
- E-The Environmental Magazine
- Earth Island Journal (Earth Island Institute): Latest News // Current Issue
- Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) NEW -- Made for These Times song for Ladies Sewing and Resistance Society
Website, Songbooks, YouTube videos; Whole Enchi-Mama on a USB Thumb drive, Standing on the Shoulders music video, sheet music offerings // SLW! Podcast
Blessings, Joyce (Earth Mama) //
- Lead sheet with melody line (downloadable PDF @ http://www.earthmama.org/)
- Full lyrics (downloadable PDF @ http://www.earthmama.org/)
- video (1 minute) of singing and sewing
- video (6 minute) including wonderful short interviews with sewers explaining WHY they will be marching, some for the first time ever in this kind of activism. Song plays the last minute. https://youtu.be/IJiNZcYc428
- SLW! Podcast #98 -- Vicki Robin writer, speaker, social innovator, co-author of the classic "Your Money or Your Life"
- SLW! Podcast #96-97 -- Shane Claiborne author of the classic "Irresistible Revolution" and more recently "Executing Grace:
How the Death Penalty Killed Jesus and Why It's Killing Us"
- SLW! Podcast #94 -- Iowa Senator Rob Hoog author of America's Climate Century (6/1) // Previous Podcast
- SLW! Podcast #95 -- Peter Sawtell author of Eco-Justice Ministries (6/15) [PREVIEW] // Previous Podcasts
- SLW! Podcast #93 Adrienne Raimo of OneBiteWellness.com, coordinator of The Minimalists, Columbus, OH
- SLW! Podcasts #91, part 1; #92, part 2 -- Hazel Henderson, founder of Ethical Markets, and Series Creator and Co-Executive Producer of its TV series (4/15-link error fixed)
- Review of Lee Van Ham's new "From Egos to Eden: Our Heroic Journey to Keep Earth Livable," vol. 2 of the "Eden for the 21st Century" Trilogy. Valentine's Day carried added meaning because colleague Lee's new book becomes available on Amazon in print and ebook and other locations where you can get the ebook (Nook, iBooks, Kobo). He says, "Hope the book stirs you to write a review, to converse with others, and to help me tell better than I currently do a story for OneEarth living. Wanting to show Earth more love!"
- SLW! Podcast #90--Susan Vogt's timely Lenten discipline "Love your enemy" //
- Podcast #87: Author/community organizer Cecile Andrews
- Podcast #86: John 'Affluenza' de Graaf
- Podcast #84-85: Walter Brueggemann on Money & Possessions (part 1 of 2--Six Theses Throughout the Bible) // (part 2--survey of the Bible)
- Post-Election Emergency/Disaster Preparedness and Survival Guide
- John Marty: The Environmentalist -- City Pages' People Issue celebrates men and women who make Minnesota a better place to live. Worth reading or listening from John Marty in "Whose Birthday?" and "Whose Birthday?" Podcast
- Our Simpler Living Weekly Daily Nudge // Easy-to-share for Feb. // March
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // Collaborators & Champions
- Our Simpler Living Weekly Daily Nudge // Easy-to-share for Feb. // March
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media, including links
- New Year's Resolution: I will focus on what I CAN change. I will focus on voluntary simplicity, my choices to challenge consumerism, live justly and celebrate responsibly.
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index. Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check 'Notify me of new posts by email.' Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest.Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email: SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald 'Jerry' Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
For hard copies of Alternatives' resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 // (847) 690-9410 // email@example.com
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We're an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations -- Christmas, birthdays, etc. -- to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! MISSION, for example -- please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2 We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group .We blog each week.
Return to Table of Contents
Page updated 13 Oct. 2017