To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom, or visit the Episode Index.
Church consultant, writer and self-styled neuroecclesiologist BOB SITZE brings decades of significant congregational and denominational leadership to his writing. An ardent critic and beneficiary of contemporary church life, Bob lives and works alongside his spouse Chris in Wheaton, Illinois.
Bob’s blog online for TheLutheran.ORG, not .com
My blog ’bout Bob’s Book Simple Enough
Bob’s blog series that just may be a fore-taste of his book to come: StewardShift.
Bob’s Beyond Simplicity series for Alternatives
Bob’s Advent Meditation for Alternatives: “Be (UN)Afraid. Be Very (UN)Afraid!”
SLW! Honor Roll of Champions of Simple Living
* * *
- Nov.-Dec. – new “WHOSE Birthday?” Podcast series. Podcast Index, including “WHOSE Birthday?” 2013.
Mentions in Earlier Episodes
- Advent resources
- Personal life: backyard garden, chickens, bees, community sidewalk garden.
- Paul’s message series on Gospel.Link – ways of creatively engaging people and faith communities on daily life spirituality, through a bunch of leader and participant resources, some closely related to simple living.
- His new set of small group series on the Spirituality of Work, for seven different occupations; the last session of each is work/life balance.
- As a Catholic publisher, The Pastoral Center loves talking about Pope Francis and Catholic social justice documents. Pope Francis has been a big advocate for living more simply and in closer solidarity with the poor — and doing so with joy! So Paul creates resources to help get that message out. Pope Francis is working on a much anticipated encyclical on ecology. Paul will definitely have resources to help faith communities study and reflect on it once it’s released.
- Ann and Paul have also become the co-directors of Growing Up Catholic which reaches out to Catholic families, also with a simplicity aspect.
- Paul also heads up GospelLiving.org.
Relevant Pastoral Center links: Advent eResources, included Simply Advent by Paul, incorporating some SLW! resources | Free online series, including “Faith@Work” and “The World As It Should Be” at Gospel.link | Spirituality of Work resources from The Pastoral Center, including small group resources for seven occupations | Family and parenting resources at GrowingUpCatholic.com | Resources supporting Pope Francis’ Joy of the Gospel, including “The Joy of Just Living: Living simply, sustainably, and in solidarity with the poor” | Other Simple Living and Ecology resources | Simply Advent handouts, inserts for-a-simpler-more-faith-filled-advent-eresource.
More Advent/Christmas Resources
- UNPLUG the Christmas Machine Workshop | Guides to Organize Festivals | Consumo Must Go! | Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? | Many More!
Recent Responses to All SLW! Media
Episode 28: Tom & Christine Sine of Mustard Seed Associates // Rita and I were interviewed by Christine for her Godspace blog. Tom is the author of the best-seller Mustard Seed Conspiracy. He blogs. They are building the Mustard Seed Associates educational eco-village on an island on the coast of Washington state. SoCap Conference – Social Capital Markets
Justice at the Table Workshop, Sat., October 18th, 2014, 9:30am-4 pm, facilitated by Andy Wade, explores the intricate connections between our faith, fellowship, and the food we eat.
SLW! Recommends Literacy Service
This service contains books (paper, eBooks, audio), video (DVD, internet), audio (CD, MP3), blogs, podcasts, sites. These are somewhat current resources. For classic resources, visit Study/Activity/Action Guides.
- Looking ahead to Advent/Christmas and back to Easter season, you may have something to contribute to our on-going collection Who’s Risen from the Dead, Anyway? for Lent/HolyWeek/Easter and to our most widely-read annual resource, Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? for Advent/Christmas/Epiphany. Though it’s no longer printed on paper, “WHOSE Birthday?” is published online since 2012. Some editions also come in AUDIO formats. ART | PERSONAL EXPERIENCES | FAMILY ACTIVITIES | Submission Guidelines | All past editions are available on the SLW! site. Thanks to Creative Commons licensing, individuals and congregations can reprint articles without further permission. The articles are carefully indexed — ADVENT/CHRISTMAS |LENT/EASTER.
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – October
Tony & Shane UncutThe complete 3-1/2 hour straight talk between Tony Campolo and Shane Claiborne about simple living and global justice. Parts of that dialog became the DVD “Simply Enough,” which has been re-issued by World Vision Canada as “Choose Justice.” The complete series — episodes 20-27 – including Show Notes.
Vicki Robin, Cecile Andrews and more!
I hope that you can see the values of the following free resources and will use them as needed, or even better, acquaint yourself with them now so that you’re prepared for your next event.
- Introduction and Preface
- Part 1: Making Choices: Simple Living | Gift Giving | Food and Celebration | Getting Started
- Part 2: Gifts
- Part 3: Celebrations: Jan-Apr | May-Aug | Sep-Dec | Advent | Christmas
- Part 4: Rites of Passage, such as birthdays, anniversaries and funerals
We have covered much of this resource in earlier episodes.
To LISTEN, visit the Episode Index.
Jubilee Economics colleague Lee Van Ham’s new book Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, part of The OneEarth Project.
In addition to this podcast and its show notes, we post new SLW! blogs several times a week. We hope you’ll read and subscribe. The BLOG is the companion to our two-times-a-month podcast. The content is different, though the subject is the same. Click on blog at the top of the show notes of any episode.
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — listen to episodes #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, to educate and inspire you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.
To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments below, then check
SUBSCRIBE for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
MORE Mentions in Earlier Episodes
- Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold) | Share the Joy of a Simpler Lifestyle Through Speeches, Workshops, Events, Study/Action Groups, Simplicity Circles and Social Media + BONUS: Social Media Supplement – Jerry’s Excellent Adventure
- Self-Starters Needed!
- Free coaching for groups on the internet
- Bring Simpler Living to Your Group!
- Simple Living Works! web site home page | Themes/Seasons Index
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Celebrations | SPANISH: 10 puntas
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * email@example.com
Click ABOUT for Music and Cover Art Credits.
*GRAPHIC: Bob Sitze, TheLutheran.org
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.