Simple Living Works! Monthly Digest
This complete digest, formerly posted weekly, is now updated at least weekly. It contains posts from both SLW! and other simple living sources.
The SLW! Weekly Nudge (focus on SLW!) and SLW! Weekly Digest (focus on colleague organizations) are available as part of a free subscription to SLW! Blog (When you arrive, click +Follow in lower right, add your email address, then confirm when email arrives.)
The free Daily Nudge is available by email -- send SUBSCRIBE to SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com -- or by Twitter @GeraldIversen.
Simple Living Works! Monthly Digest
In This Issue:
The Common Good Podcast - Check out the new site.
Community Solutions: Founded in 1940, this non-profit organization advocates for small communities and the benefits of face-to-face relationships. Since 2003, the focus has been to provide resources for low-carbon living and to inspire collective, cooperative solutions in the face of peak energy and climate change.
Creation Justice CAPSULES: News and Opportunities for Christians Doing Creation Justice
E-The Environmental Magazine
Earth Island Journal (Earth Island Institute): Latest News // Current Issue
Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) NEW -- Made for These Times song for Ladies Sewing and Resistance Society
What's NOW with SLW!
- Podcast #89: Lacy Cagle, Education Dir. on Northwest Earth Institute's new course on voluntary simplicity, A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World (3/15)
- Podcast #88: Nancy Pearlman, Exec. Dir. of Educational Communications, is an award-winning broadcaster, environmentalist, college instructor, anthropologist, editor, producer, on-air personality, and outdoorswoman who has made safeguarding the Earth’s ecosystems a career.
- April is Financial Literacy Month
- Review of Lee Van Ham's new "From Egos to Eden: Our Heroic Journey to Keep Earth Livable," vol. 2 of the "Eden for the 21st Century" Trilogy. Valentine's Day carried added meaning because colleague Lee's new book becomes available on Amazon in print and ebook and other locations where you can get the ebook (Nook, iBooks, Kobo). He says, "Hope the book stirs you to write a review, to converse with others, and to help me tell better than I currently do a story for OneEarth living. Wanting to show Earth more love!"
- Banishing Fake News: I blogged recently that we were changing our long-standing 'Alternate Celebrations' to 'Non-Conform-Freely Celebrations' because the terms 'alternate' and 'alternative' had been compromised by the new buzz words 'alternative facts' in DC. Larry Trover asked, 'Do you have any ideas for banishing fake news without abridging freedom of speech and freedom of the press?' Here's a dozen. READ MORE
- We've cancelled our vacation to Alaska and plan to see the fall colors in Vermont instead. More information about "I Buy Blue. Won't You Too?"
- SLW! Lent/Easter Resource Index
- Our Daily Simpler Living Nudge
Early 2017 SLW! Podcast guests:
What Others Are Doing - So Much Help!
I gladly pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn't read them all. Choose FIVE links -- including SLW! -- to investigate.
Blessings, Joyce (Earth Mama) //
Website, Songbooks, YouTube videos; Whole Enchi-Mama on a USB Thumb drive, Standing on the Shoulders music video, sheet music offerings // SLW! Podcast
Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell) // Voluntary Simplicity archive // SLW! Podcast // SLW! Podcast #66
GodSpace (Christine Sine) // SLW! Podcast
The Good Stuff your dose of what's working in the world from The Story of Stuff Project!
Green Child eMagazine: Simplify for Happier, Calmer Kids
The Homesteading Guide Daily: Exploring life off the grid.
Jubilee Economics / Casa Jubileo (Lee Van Ham & Gerald Iversen)
A Living Earth Economy (David Korten - Yes! Magazine): How we can make peace with nature, realize the value of living wealth, and return to local, self-organized rule.
Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways - Finding good homes for no longer needed items rather than just putting them in the trash //SLW! Podcast // SLW! Podcast: Lent
- Lead sheet with melody line (downloadable PDF @ http://www.earthmama.org/)
- Full lyrics (downloadable PDF @ http://www.earthmama.org/)
- video (1 minute) of singing and sewing
- video (6 minute) including wonderful short interviews with sewers explaining WHY they will be marching, some for the first time ever in this kind of activism. Song plays the last minute. https://youtu.be/IJiNZcYc428
Live Simply (Third Way: Celeste Kennel-Shank)
Lutheran Peace Fellowship: Simple Living Resources // SLW! Podcast
The Minimalists podcast (Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus). Getting us past the things so we can make room for life's most important things -- which actually aren't things at all.
Mustard Seed Associates (Andy Wade)
New Changemakers: Join the Changemaking Celebration! (Tom Sine)
NorthWest Earth Institute's latest discussion course ebook, Sustainability Works: Rethinking Business As Usual // Change Is Our Choice: Creating Climate Solutions // Voluntary Simplicity // SLW! Podcast
The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham) // SLW! Podcast
The Pastoral Center/Gospel Living (Paul Canavese) // SLW! Podcast
PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough / Full Article Library
- Pre-cycling & Packaging - How deceptive advertising and over-packaging can play mind games on us. What parts can you break free of?
- Phone-fast - How long could you go without a cell phone? Do you want to? What to do with the old one?
- Top 10 Simplicity Tips of 2016 - Although I'd like to think you read each bi-weekly blog I post, for the time-crunched among you, here are what I consider my top 10 from last year.
- Online Shopping & Boxes - In the aftermath of Christmas I consider the pros and cons of online shopping and the plethora of boxes it creates.
- Beyond Virtue - Timeliness - As virtuous as it may be to find the perfect place to donate older, but still serviceable clothes, sometimes the perfect can be the enemy of the good. How much is it worth your time?
- Doing Good Can Be Hard - Related to the the above post (where I took the easy way out) here is the opposite position (where I made the effort to save a 50+ year old appliance. What would you do?
Simple Enough (Bob Sitze) // SLW! Podcast
Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs) - Time, Finances, Home-Work, Health
Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
Simplicity Collective - Let us be pioneers once more (Samuel Alexander)
Simplicity Parenting (Kim John Payne): because it is a beautiful world
Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky of Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent) // SLW! Podcast
TransitionNetwork.org: Transition Towns--A movement of communities coming together to reimagine and rebuild our world
TreeHugger: Finding a Greener Future
For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! blog.
Upcoming Non-Conform-Freely Celebrations: Sept.-Dec. // Jan.-April
- 2017 Resolution Summary: Spend Less Money by Letting Go of Addictive Consumerism
We all want better control of our budgets, but what if you could improve your mental health, reduce stress and be friendlier to the planet at the same time? Our 2017 resolution shows you how. Read more >>
- How Much of Your Monthly Spend is Caused by Addictive Consumerism?
Your first step will need to be to figure out how much addictive consumerism contributes to your monthly spend. We walk you through how to do it.
Read more >>
- Tips for Setting Realistic Budget Goals
The fastest way to ensure that you fail at your budget goals is to set unrealistic goals and then go into a cycle of feeling as though you failed when you can't meet them. We have tips on setting productive and achievable goals. Read more >>
- When Your Budget is Fine But You're Still Not Happy
The purpose of everything that we do at Postconsumers is to bring more joy to your life through the satisfaction of enough. But what if your budget seems to be just fine but you're still not happy? We have advice on where to look next.
Read more >>
- Manufactured Trends: A Marketing Arsenal Weapon You Should Watch Out For
- 25 Ways to Help Save the Ocean (Or At Least Stem the Tide)
- Marketing 101 for the Postconsumer: understand how marketers are manipulating us, so we can make informed decisions about how we control our consumerism.
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index. Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check 'Notify me of new posts by email.' Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest.Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email: SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald 'Jerry' Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*IMAGE: Spirit of Simplicity #3-A301
For hard copies of Alternatives' resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 // (847) 690-9410 // email@example.com
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We're an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations -- Christmas, birthdays, etc. -- to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! MISSION, for example -- please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2 We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group .We blog each week.
Return to Table of Contents
Page updated 22 April 2017