Episode 103: Kathy McGinnis, director and co-founder of The Institute for Peace & Justice, and her late husband Jim, wrote the reflections for the “Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?” series in the upcoming Nov.-Dec. episodes (#15). Visit the Institute’s site to see its fascinating history, inspiring programs and numerous awards.
To listen to the current episode, click the player at the top or bottom of the page.
# # #
SLW! BLOG: comprised of SLW! Weekly Digest and Simple Living Weekly Nudge. Subscribe for free. Click Blog, then Follow at lower right. Confirm when confirmation email arrives.
- Simple Living Political & Spiritual Health
- Lee Van Ham’s “Eden for the 21st Century” trilogy: Vol. 2 – From Egos to Eden: Our Heroic Journey to Keep Earth Livable,” — SLW! Ep. 79 + REVIEW // Vol. 1 – Blinded by Progress
- Testimonials/Feedback/Comments/Response to all SLW! media
# # #
NEW — At revoice.me/p/simple-living-works-podcast anyone can subscribe to the Simple Living Works! podcast on FB Messenger and other messaging apps. Feel free to test it or share it
# # #
Episode 102: Meghann Jarchow, founder and coordinator of the Univ. of So. Dakota Sustainability Program
The Univ. of So. Dakota is building a Sustainability Program at the campus in Vermillion, SD. Though a young interdisciplinary bachelor’s degree housed in the biology dept., It is working toward a master’s program and eventually a Ph.D.
Dr. Meghann Jarchow (JAR-koe) is the founder and coordinator of the program. She works with numerous organizations in a basically conservative state, to create a vision of sustainability. The means to reach that vision are very much in development among the various stakeholders in this agriculture-based state. In addition to Sierra Club, the Sustainability Club, Greening Vermillion, and others, USD is a member of UMACS — Upper Midwest Assoc. for Campus Sustainability.
# # #
Nobel Peace Prize laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu has said of him, “Paul K. Chappell has given us a crucial look at war and peace from the unique perspective of a soldier, and his new ideas show us why world peace is both necessary and possible in the 21st century. The End of War can help people everywhere understand why war must end, and how together we can end it.”
Paso Peace Community Blog on Paul’s visit: Why World Peace Is Possible
Don’t confuse Paul K. Chappell with the conservative preacher/author Paul Chappell!
# # #
This is part of a short series honoring the 500th year of the Reformation, which for many culminates on Reformation Sunday, October 29th.
Bishop Erwin on FaceBook
Southwest Calif. Synod, ELCA, on Facebook
International Congress for Luther Research: 1517. Luther between Tradition and Renewal [German and English]
Oops. In my intro I mentioned that Bishop Erwin taught at California Lutheran College, Thousand Oaks. Make that University.
# # #
Episode 99 [8/15] — Order of Lutheran Franciscans: Minister General Christopher – Brother Chris – and novice Jeff Brown – Brother Jeff — tell their personal stories, as well as the background and faith foundations of OLF. Remarkable connections to voluntary simplicity!
This is part of a short series honoring the 500th year of the Reformation, which for many culminates on Reformation Sunday at the end of October.
# # #
The Simpler Living Daily NUDGE
- What Is The NUDGE? / How It Works / How Do It Get It: Send NUDGE to SimpleLivingWorks@Yahoo.com / How Do It Share It / More About Holidays
* * *
In addition to this podcast and its show notes, we post a twice weekly SLW! blog. Read and subscribe! The BLOG is the companion to our twice-a-month podcast. The content is different, though the subject is the same. Click on blog at the top of the show notes of any episode. Blog INDEX
* * *
Recent Responses to SLW! Media
Welcome to the other podcast I co-host/produce, The Common Good Podcast.
SLW! Recommends Literacy Service
This service contains books (paper, eBooks, audio), video (DVD, internet), audio (CD, MP3), blogs, podcasts, sites. These are somewhat current resources. For classic resources, visit Study/Activity/Action Guides. For more ideas, go to Getting Started. Also see Champions of Simple Living and other worthwhile Links.
Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – OCTOBER
Vicki Robin, Cecile Andrews, John de Graaf, Duane Elgin and more!
Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold) | Share the Joy of a Simpler Lifestyle Through Speeches, Workshops, Events, Study/Action Groups, Simplicity Circles and Social Media + BONUS: Social Media Supplement // Self-Starters Needed! // Free coaching for groups on the internet
Jubilee Economics / The OneEarth Project colleague Lee Van Ham’s trilogy: vol.1 Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us; vol. 2 From Egos to Eden: Our Heroic Journey to Keep Earth Livable; vol. 3 COMING. Also, hear The Common Good Podcast, which I co-host and produce. || Three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals || Lee’s Slide Show
Share your thoughts on this podcast and this episode. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom of this page. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments below, then check
SUBSCRIBE for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
- To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — listen to episodes #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, to educate and inspire you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog twice a week as SLW! Nudge and SLW! Digest.
- Living More with Less: the 5 Life Standards of Voluntary Simplicity
- IMAGE: Kathy McGinnis
- For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * firstname.lastname@example.orgClick ABOUT for Music and Cover Art Credits.
- We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our online resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
- *Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.