John de Graaf’s Champion of Simple Living PROFILE
John’s recent articles:
- SLW! Episode 61: John de Graaf, producer and author [1/15/16]
- The Common Good Podcast, Ep. 39** – Affluenza* [9/1/13]
- The Common Good Podcast, Ep. 40** – Happiness Initiative* [10/1/13]
- NOTES: ** with Show Notes; * without
- Affluenza: A New Disease of the Rich in an Era of Inequality
- Center for a New American Dream
- Take-Back-Your-Time Day
- Happiness Alliance
- CASSE // Steady-state Economy // The Common Good Podcast, Ep. 46 :: Brian Czech: Creating a Strong Economy That Does Not Grow
- Tikkun: A Memory of Castro’s Cuba
- Elysha Iversen: Easter in Grand Canyon
- NEW – Simple Living SANITY Suggestions
# # #
Episode one of the two-part series is based on Walter Brueggemann‘s six theses about money & possessions throughout the Bible; episode two is his brief survey of the theme of money and possessions in the Bible.
The Bible is rich with complex and diverse material on the topic of money and possessions. Indeed, a close look at many scriptural texts reveals that economics is a core preoccupation of the biblical tradition. In this new work, highly regarded preacher and scholar Walter Brueggemann explores the recurring theme of money and possessions in the Old and New Testaments. He proposes six theses concerning money and possessions in the Bible, observing their contradictory nature to the conventional wisdom and practice of both the ancient world and today’s society. Brueggemann advises us to reassess the ways in which our society engages—or does not engage—questions of money and possessions as carriers of social possibility. He invites the church to move toward an alternative neighborly economy that is more consistent with the gospel we confess.
Essential Reading! — Contents, Series Foreword, Foreword (Richard Horsely), Preface, Introduction (Chapter One) — available free online.
Two Contemporary Prophets
- Ep. 79: Lee Van Ham, Exec. Dir. of Jubilee OneEarth Economics, previews vol. 2 of his “Eden for the 21st Century” trilogy, entitled, “From Egos to Eden: Our Heroic Journey to Keep Earth Livable”
- Ep. 78: James Howard Kunstler, author, social critic, blogger, speaker
* * *
The Simpler Living Daily NUDGE
- What Is The NUDGE? / How It Works / How Do It Get It: Send NUDGE to SimpleLivingWorks@Yahoo.com / How Do It Share It / More About Holidays
- June — Alternative Giving
- July — Money & Goods
- August: Personal Choices, Happiness, Fulfillment
- September: Non-conform Freely
- October: Sustenance
- November: More Celebrating
- December: Responsible Celebrating
- January: Life Principles of Voluntary Simplicity — Week 1: Do Justice || Week 2: Learn from the World Community || Week 3: Nurture People || Week 4: Non-conform Freely
- February: Celebrating More Responsibly– Week 1: Music/Worship || Week 2: Preparing for Lent, Easter and Other Spring Festivals || Week 3: Rites of Passage || Week 4: What Is ‘Enough’?
* * *
In addition to this podcast and its show notes, we post a weekly SLW! blog. We hope you’ll read and subscribe. The BLOG is the companion to our twice-a-month podcast. The content is different, though the subject is the same. Click on blog at the top of the show notes of any episode. Blog INDEX
Recent Responses to All SLW! Media
Welcome to the other podcast I co-host/produce, The Common Good Podcast.
SLW! Recommends Literacy Service
This service contains books (paper, eBooks, audio), video (DVD, internet), audio (CD, MP3), blogs, podcasts, sites. These are somewhat current resources. For classic resources, visit Study/Activity/Action Guides. For more ideas, go to Getting Started. Also see Champions of Simple Living and other worthwhile Links.
Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – FEB.
Tony & Shane UncutThe complete 3-1/2 hour straight talk between Tony Campolo and Shane Claiborne about simple living and global justice — episodes 20-27.
Vicki Robin, Cecile Andrews, John de Graaf, Duane Elgin and more!
Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold) | Share the Joy of a Simpler Lifestyle Through Speeches, Workshops, Events, Study/Action Groups, Simplicity Circles and Social Media + BONUS: Social Media Supplement // Self-Starters Needed! // Free coaching for groups on the internet
Jubilee Economics / The OneEarth Project colleague Lee Van Ham’s book Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us. Also, hear The Common Good Podcast, which I co-host and produce. || Three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals || Lee’s Slide Show
Share your thoughts on this podcast and this episode. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments below, then check
SUBSCRIBE for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
- To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — listen to episodes #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, to educate and inspire you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.
- IMAGE: John de Graaf
- For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * email@example.comClick ABOUT for Music and Cover Art Credits.We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.