To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom, or visit the Episode Index.
redmoonsong lives in North Carolina and is a committed war tax resister among her many other activities. “Choosing Simple Living,” a post about redmoonsong on National War Tax Resister Coordinating Committee’s site, lists Jorgen Lissner’s Ten Reasons for Choosing a Simpler Lifestyle.
Also, Practical War Tax Resistance #5: Low Income/Simple Living as War Tax Resistance
Jorgen Lissner’s Ten Reasons for Choosing a Simpler Lifestyle in SLW! collection Treasury of Celebrations.
War Tax Talk with Shane Claiborne — well worth your time though sound quality is not optimal.
Charles Gray‘s classic, “Toward a Non-Violent Economics.”
“Organize His Way: A Christ-Centered Approach to Organizing Your Life” EileenKoffMinistries.com
Jerusalem Farm, urban communal living in Kansas City
* * *
Recent Responses to All SLW! Media
Welcome to the other podcast I co-host/produce, The Common Good Podcast.
- Episode #66: Peter Sawtell, exec. dir. of Eco-Justice Ministries
- National Religious Partnership for the Environment
- Creation Justice Ministries (National Council of Churches)
- Green Faith
- Earth Ministry
- Interfaith Power and Light
- More Eco-Justice NOTES
- Episode 65: Ken Sehested, founding exec. dir. of the Baptist Peace Fellowship of North America (BPFNA–Bautistas por la Paz), co-pastor of Circle of Mercy, a peace church; author of several books; and blogger at “Prayer and Politiks and Signs of the Times: At the intersection of spiritual formation and prophetic action.” // Fellowship of Reconciliation
- Peace Primer II: Quotes from Jewish, Christian, Islamic Scripture & Tradition (free download); by Ken Sehested; Rabbi Lynn Gottlieb, founder, Shomer Shalom Network for Jewish Nonviolence; and Chaplain Rabia Terri Harris, Muslim scholar and founder of the Muslim Peace Fellowship
- Episode 64: Frank Cordaro, an out-spoken former priest and now an internet activist, practices radical acts of mercy with the Catholic Worker in Des Moines, IA, and protests war and militarism.
- Episode 63: Lee Van Ham – Convergence of OneEarth Living and Voluntary Simplicity. We co-produced this episode with Jubilee OneEarth Economics. A slightly different version was released on TheCommonGoodPodcast.com (TCGP). The impetus for this podcast came when TCGP cohost Lee Van Ham was one of the presenters at “Seeking Simplicity: A Workshop for the Soul and the Planet,” hosted at St. Paul’s Cathedral in Jan., 2016. The search for simplicity, not austerity, can get us closer to using only the capacities of our one planet instead of several. Yet, just what simplicity is varies widely; what size fits you? And does your size fit the planet? WE UNPACK SIX IDEAS IN THIS CONVERSATION. Also, some background about co-housing. Other blogs of interest by Lee at TheOneEarthProject.com.
- Episode 62: Tim Kasser, Professor of Psychology; author of The High Price of Materialism
SLW! Recommends Literacy Service
This service contains books (paper, eBooks, audio), video (DVD, internet), audio (CD, MP3), blogs, podcasts, sites. These are somewhat current resources. For classic resources, visit Study/Activity/Action Guides. For more ideas, go to Getting Started. Also see Champions of Simple Living and other worthwhile Links.
Tony & Shane UncutThe complete 3-1/2 hour straight talk between Tony Campolo and Shane Claiborne about simple living and global justice — episodes 20-27.
Vicki Robin, Cecile Andrews, John de Graaf, Duane Elgin and more!
Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold) | Share the Joy of a Simpler Lifestyle Through Speeches, Workshops, Events, Study/Action Groups, Simplicity Circles and Social Media + BONUS: Social Media Supplement // Self-Starters Needed! // Free coaching for groups on the internet
Jubilee Economics / The OneEarth Project colleague Lee Van Ham’s book Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, part of The OneEarth Project. Also, hear The Common Good Podcast, which I co-host and produce. || NEW three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals || Conversation about The OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham, including TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 || Lee’s recent Slide Show
Share your thoughts on this podcast and this episode. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments below, then check
SUBSCRIBE for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — listen to episodes #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, to educate and inspire you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * firstname.lastname@example.org
Click ABOUT for Music and Cover Art Credits.
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.