To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom, or visit the Episode Index.
Mentions This Episode
Tony and Shane Uncut, SLW! podcast episodes 20-27
John Pitney‘s song “Live Simply So Others May Simply Live” (closing theme complete)
- Oct. 1 SLW! podcast — Paul Canavese, head of GospelLiving.org. Paul and spouse Ann contributed to the Wedding Alternatives Supplement. They hosted Rita and I on a speaking tour. Read the notes of that visit at Post #58.
- Oct. 15 podcast — Bob Sitze, author, blogger
Mentions in Earlier Episodes
Tom & Christine Sine of Mustard Seed Associates // Rita and I were interviewed by Christine for her Godspace blog. I’ve published the my notes of our group discussion (Post #293) at Mustard Seed Associates, as I did with the notes from my speaking tours through 40+ states (including my first visit to MSA, post #168).
Tom is the author of the best-seller Mustard Seed Conspiracy. He gave me a copy of his recent The New Conspirators: Creating the Future One Mustard Seed at a Time. He blogs. He also wrote a series of Advent/Christmas reflections for Alternatives. Christine wrote The Search for Meaning: Beyond a Commercialized World (available in text or podcast). She has written several books about faith formation and gardening.
They are building the Mustard Seed Associates educational eco-village on an island on the coast of Washington state.
Justice at the Table Workshop, Sat., October 18th, 2014, 9:30am-4 pm, facilitated by Andy Wade, explores the intricate connections between our faith, fellowship, and the food we eat. Not only will we will challenge ourselves and each other to bring our eating and buying practices more in line with our beliefs, we will also draft a “Justice at the Table Plan” to help us implement those changes!
SoCap Conference - Social Capital Markets
We also met Glen Gersmehl, Exec. Dir. of Lutheran Peace Fellowship in Seattle.
Quantity Cooking for Churches // Grace Winn, ed.
Hunger Resources from Worship Alternatives
SLW! Recommends Literacy Service
This service contains books (paper, eBooks, audio), video (DVD, internet), audio (CD, MP3), blogs, podcasts, sites. These are somewhat current resources. For classic resources, visit Study/Activity/Action Guides.
Literacy Topics: Activism | Celebrating | Economic | Environmental | Family/Children | Financial | Food, Water, Agriculture | Happiness | Health/Medical |Historical | Media | Peace/War/Militarism/Empire | Political | Spiritual/Faith | Time and Work | General
- Looking ahead to Advent/Christmas and back to Easter season, you may have something to contribute to our on-going collection Who’s Risen from the Dead, Anyway? for Lent/HolyWeek/Easter and to our most widely-read annual resource, Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? for Advent/Christmas/Epiphany. Though it’s no longer printed on paper, “WHOSE Birthday?” is published online since 2012. Some editions also come in AUDIO formats. ART | PERSONAL EXPERIENCES | FAMILY ACTIVITIES | Submission Guidelines | All past editions are available on the SLW! site. Thanks to Creative Commons licensing, individuals and congregations can reprint articles without further permission. The articles are carefully indexed — ADVENT/CHRISTMAS |LENT/EASTER.
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – September
Eco-Justice: “the well-being of all humankind on a thriving Earth” Guest: Peter Sawtell, Founder and Exec. Dir. of Eco-Justice Ministries, discussing the new emphasis Not Ordinary Times. Eco-Justice Ministries | Subscribe to Eco-Justice NOTES (weekly email commentary). NotOrdinaryTimes.org is a challenging call to “be the church” in this time of environmental crisis — backed up with a comprehensive set of resources and background materials that will guide churches through a six-month season of worship and preaching that takes seriously the devastation of the global environment. (The weeks between Pentecost, 6/8/14, and Advent, 11/30, are traditionally Ordinary Time, the non-festival part of the Church Year.)
Pastoral Economic Struggles: Facing Together Global Capitalism’s Domination in Daily Life by Lee Van Ham (Pentecost theme)
Worship Alternatives: Pentecost/Ordinary Time
Tony & Shane Uncut
Vicki Robin, Cecile Andrews and more!
I hope that you can see the values of the following free resources and will use them as needed, or even better, acquaint yourself with them now so that you’re prepared for your next event.
- Introduction and Preface
- Part 1: Making Choices: Simple Living | Gift Giving | Food and Celebration | Getting Started
- Part 2: Gifts
- Part 3: Celebrations: Jan-Apr | May-Aug | Sep-Dec | Advent | Christmas
- Part 4: Rites of Passage, such as birthdays, anniversaries and funerals
We have covered much of this resource in earlier episodes.
Wedding Alternatives: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth (Angela and Pete, above, contributors to Wedding Alternatives Supplement)
To LISTEN, visit the Episode Index.
Jubilee Economics colleague Lee Van Ham’s new book Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, part of The OneEarth Project.
In addition to this podcast and its show notes, we post new SLW! blogs several times a week. We hope you’ll read and subscribe. The BLOG is the companion to our two-times-a-month podcast. The content is different, though the subject is the same. Click on blog at the top of the show notes of any episode.
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — listen to episodes #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, to educate and inspire you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.
To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments below, then check
SUBSCRIBE for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
MORE Mentions in Recent Episodes
- Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold) | Share the Joy of a Simpler Lifestyle Through Speeches, Workshops, Events, Study/Action Groups, Simplicity Circles and Social Media + BONUS: Social Media Supplement - Jerry’s Excellent Adventure
- Self-Starters Needed!
- Free coaching for groups on the internet
- Those Who Speak for God: Household Studies on the Minor Prophets
- Bring Simpler Living to Your Group!
- Simple Living Works! web site home page | Themes/Seasons Index
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Celebrations | SPANISH: 10 puntas
Click ABOUT for Music and Cover Art Credits.
*GRAPHIC: Overflow Project
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.