To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom, or visit the Episode Index.
Vicki Robin has helped millions of Americans reshape their lives in sound and beautiful ways, but this may be her most important project yet–and a crucial one for our tired planet too! ~~Bill McKibben, author of Oil and Honey: The Education of an Unlikely Activist
Vicki Robin is a national treasure–a source of wisdom and uncommon sense now directed at the most basic of basics: how and what we eat and how that connects to our health, prosperity, and prospects . . . The ten-mile diet should be national policy!” ~~ David Orr, Paul Sears Distinguished Professor of Environmental Studies and Politics at Oberlin College
::TedxSeattle talk - 14 minutes of heart, head and humor on Relational Eating
::Book: Your Money or Your Life
::NEW Book: Blessing the Hands that Feed Us: What Eating Closer to Home Taught Me About Food, Community And Our Place on Earth
::Local Food Lab – restoring local food systems
Mentions This Episode
NEW – SLW! Blog Review service. For more sites, search on Ecosia.org (not Google) for frugal, thrifty, cheapskate, simple living, voluntary simplicity.
Mentions Last Episode
I hope that you can see the values of these free resources and will use them as needed, or even better, acquaint yourself with them now so that you’re prepared for your next event.
Treasury of Celebrations: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth, the last edition of the classic series Alternative Celebrations Catalogs.
Part 4. Rites of Passage, such as birthdays, anniversaries and funerals
Wedding Alternatives: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth (Angela and Pete, above, contributors to Wedding Alternatives Supplement)
Treasury Intro: SLW! podcast episode 4 (the need to simplify all our celebrations)
Overview of Rites of Passage (alphabetical, not chronological order)
- Adoption Day | An Alternative Wedding Service | Anniversaries | Bequeathal of organs and tissue upon our death | Birth | Birthdays | Death | Divorce | Early Passages, such as tooth rites and starting school | Graduations | Hospice Care | In the Faith Community — Confirmation for Christian youth and Bar or bat mitzvah for Jewish boys and girls | Marriage | Memorial Societies | Puberty | Retirement | Rites of Passage (intro) | The Second Time, remarriage | NEW – Green Birthday Parties
Wedding Alternatives, which also has been published as the Alternative Wedding Book includes:
- Outward Signs of Inner Values: What Matters for Your Wedding? | Create Your Own Ceremony: Beyond “Here Comes the Bride” | Planning an Alternative Wedding: Food, Flowers and Festivities | Wedding Timeline/Checklist | Wedding Budget Worksheet | Supplement
The original version is free online, including a more recent supplement. The Alternative Wedding Book is still in-print from Woodlake/NorthStone Publishing, BC, Canada.
It you think this resource may be out-of-date, read this testimonial for Alternative Wedding Book that I received in late 2013, signed Arizona Bride. Inspired by Arizona Bride, we’ve added a line for Tithe in the Wedding Budget. The couple included 10% of their wedding budget as a charitable contribution for environmental causes. She plans to continue giving the book to friends who are preparing to wed. By the way, it’s available free and complete as Wedding Alternatives at SimpleLivingWorks.org; also in Spanish as Nuestra Boda.
I hope you’ll find my blog Occupying the Flagstaff Bridal Fair both humorous and enlightening.
And I’ve added Meredith Gould’s helpful book Getting #Married: Using Social Media to Celebrate the Sacred to the Wedding Alternatives Supplement.
In future episodes, you’ll hear from Peter Sawtell, Exec. Dir. of Eco-Justice Ministries, about the new Project “Not Ordinary Times.” Also, preparing for Pentecost and Ordinary Time, and info about Alternative Summer Festivals.
In May, I plan to start a series called Tony & Shane Uncut – the complete 3-1/2 hour straight talk between Tony Campolo and Shane Claiborne about simple living and global justice. Parts of that dialog became the DVD “Simply Enough,” which has been re-issued by World Vision Canada as “Choose Justice.” [Secret: the complete series — episodes 20-27 — can be previewed now without Show Notes.]
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives contact info, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * email@example.com
Mentions in Recent Episodes
A community educator, Cecile is active in the transition movement in the United States. She’s the author of The Circle of Simplicity: Return to the Good Life (1998) | Slow is Beautiful: New Visions of Community, Leisure and Joie de Vivre (2006) | Less is More: Embracing Simplicity for a Healthy Planet, a Caring Economy and Lasting Happiness (2009) | NEW! Living Room Revolution: A Handbook for Conversation, Community and the Common Good (2013)
To LISTEN, visit the Episode Index.
Colleague Lee Van Ham of Jubilee Economics is progressing well with his new book Blinded by Progress, including his numerous interviews.
Helpful Articles on SPRING Festivals
(We talked about Lent and Easter (April 20) – in Episode #13.)
- International Women’s Day (March 8) | St. Patrick’s Day (March 17) | First Day of Spring (March 20) | Central America Week (week of March 24) | The spirit of Archbishop Oscar Romero |
- Passover – Tue., April 15, 2014 – 7 days – Mon., April 21. In the USA, Passover ends one day later, Tues., April 22. | Freedom from slavery | What links are in place in your community?
In addition to this podcast and its show notes, we post new SLW! blogs several times a week. We hope you’ll read and subscribe. This BLOG is the companion to our two-times-a-month podcast. The content is different, though the subject is the same. Click on blog at the top of the show notes of any episode.
You’re welcome to share your thoughts on these subjects. Email a message to Feedback AT SimpleLivingWorks DOT org.
Leave a comment on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Share your thoughts on this podcast and this episode. Email Feedback AT SimpleLivingWorks DOT org [or SimpleLivingWorks AT yahoo DOT com or SimpleLivingWorks2 AT gmail DOT com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — listen to episodes #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, to educate and inspire you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.
To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments below, then check
SUBSCRIBE for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Episode Index: #1-3: Getting Acquainted | #4-5: Beyond a Consumer Lifestyle | #6-11: Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? | #12: Living More with Less UPDATED | #13: Let’s Get Ready for a Simpler Lent & Easter | #14: Simple Living 101 + Social Media BONUS | #15: author Cecile Andrews | #16: Alternative Rites of Passage | #17: Vicki Robin, co-author of “Your Money or Your Life”
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
MORE Mentions in Recent Episodes
- Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold) | Share the Joy of a Simpler Lifestyle Through Speeches, Workshops, Events, Study/Action Groups, Simplicity Circles and Social Media + BONUS: Social Media Supplement – Jerry’s Excellent Adventure
- Self-Starters Needed!
- Lenten sermon series
- Free coaching for groups on the internet
- Let’s Get Ready for a Simpler, More Meaningful Lent and Easter
Lent/Easter: 10 Tips for a Simpler, More Meaningful Easter | Article/ART Index: Easter | Bulletin Inserts are indexed in Articles by season. | En Español (all) | Lenten Calendars and 40-Day Guides - For the current liturgical cycle (A), use #6, 9, 12, 15, or 18. Some are not based on a cycle and can be used any year. | Sing Justice! Do Justice! New Songs & Hymns to Familiar & New Tunes: Lent/Easter, e.g. #19 | Spirit of Simplicity: Quotes and Art for Simpler Living and Global Justice ( Foreword by Cecile Andrews | Introduction | How to Use This Collection | QUOTES | ART )
- Treasury of Celebrations: Part 1: Making Choices — Simple Living, Gift Giving, Food and Celebration, Getting Started | Part 2: Gifts | Part 3: Celebrations — Jan-Apr (LENT | EASTER), May-Aug, Sep-Dec, Advent, Christmas | Part 4: Rites of Passage
- Who’s Risen from the Dead, Anyway? A. Reflection/Activity Guides (two guides for each cycle – total of six); B. Passover and Easter Seders; C. Posters and 40-Day Calendars; D. Bulletin Inserts & Covers (#551-559) | Those Who Speak for God: Household Studies on the Minor Prophets
- Worship Alternatives: Worship Items (Litanies, Hymns, Prayers, etc.)| Sermons | ART for Lent/Holy Week/Easter
- Guides for Sharing These Resources: School of Layout | Reaching Out Through the Media
- Overflow Project 50-Day Challenge | my blog SIMPLIFY + GIVE + CHANGE = WATER
- Bring Simpler Living to Your Group!
- Simple Living Works! web site home page | Themes/Seasons Index
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Easter | Celebrations | SPANISH: 10 puntas
- For Lent/Easter SEASONAL HELPS, including links to AV and Text resources, see episode 13.
- SEASONAL HELPS from *Treasury of Celebrations: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth: Winter Festivals: Jan.-April | LENT | EASTER
Click ABOUT for Music and Cover Art Credits.
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.