Simple Living Works! Podcast
A 4-episode series drawn from Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? #15 (lectionary cycle B), Alternatives’ annual Advent/Christmas/Epiphany resource for individuals, families and congregations.
To find resources referenced in each episode, go to the links in the TEXT version of each item, which are linked below. Or use the search engine in window #4 at SimpleLivingWorks.org.
Meet the author:
Episode 103: Kathy McGinnis, director and co-founder of The Institute for Peace & Justice, and her late husband Jim, wrote the reflections for the “Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?” series in the upcoming Nov.-Dec. episodes (#15). Visit the Institute’s site to see its fascinating history, inspiring programs and numerous awards.
- Whatever Happened to Christmas?
- Why a Simpler Christmas?
- Weekly Family Time: How to Use These Reflections & Activities
- Top 10 Uses of “Whose Birthday?”
- More Exciting, Helpful Ways to Use “Whose Birthday?”
- Going Beyond “Whose Birthday?”
- Alternative Giving: What Jesus Wants for Christmas
- A Simple Christmas Daily Calendar
- The Joy of Responsible Gift-Giving
- A Special Holiday Letter
- What Do Kids Really Want?
Also Mentioned–Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold)
- Advent 1: “We Are All the Work of Your Hands”
- Advent 2: “Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord”
- A Simple Christmas Daily Calendar
- Love Gift Advent Tree
- An “Alternative” Carol
- Birthday Gift for Jesus (poem)
- Advent 3: “Bring Glad Tidings to the Poor”
- Advent 4: “Behold Your Handmaid, O Lord”
- Christmas Eve: “You Shall Be Called ‘My Delight'”
- Christmas I: Holy Family Sunday”Over All These Clothes, Put on Love”
- Epiphany: “Then They Opened Their Treasures…”
* * *
BONUS Items (no audio)
* * *
WHOSE Birthday? #29, online edition for 2017.
* * *
See article about “Whose Birthday?” in fall edition of the national publication for ELCA leaders, Seeds for the Parish, p. 7.
* * *
- Carols with Justice – Entire collection of 15 carols (new words to familiar tunes) as text and audio || Jill Miller and DeeEtta Riley || Pageant based on these carols
These new stanzas help to connect Jesus’ birth with our lives through social justice, care of Creation, and discipleship as simpler living.
- Introduction to this collection
- Hints on formatting these texts for your use.
- Why Carols with Justice
- List of Carols
- Introduction to the Carols
- How to Use this Resource
- The Carols
- Angels We Have Heard on High
- Away in a Manger
- Go Tell it on the Mountain
- Oh, Come, All Ye Faithful
- It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
- God Rest You Merry Gentlemen
- Angels, from the Realms of Glory
- O Little Town of Bethlehem
- Once in Royal David’s City
- Silent Night, Holy Night!
- What Child Is This
- Oh, Come, Oh, Come, Emmanuel
- The First Noel
- Deck the Halls
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas
- A Statement on Biblical Justice
- When we sing favorite carols, let’s add justice to the traditional verses.
Music: Sing Justice! Do Justice! New Hymn & Song Texts to Familiar & New Tunes (index + selections) | Source | Media Release | AUDIO: Hope Is a Candle (Advent candle lighting hymn) | O Baby Born in Bethlehem | God of Justice Everflowing (Advent hymn)
Advent Conspiracy: video, family guide and Advent calendar, Sunday School curriculum, Advent sermon outline // SLW! Podcast // FREE Church Resources: Children’s Curriculum, audio, video, more // Advent Conspiracy FAQ’s
* * *
The Simpler Living Daily NUDGE
- What Is The NUDGE? / How It Works / How Do It Get It: Send NUDGE to SimpleLivingWorks@Yahoo.com / How Do It Share It / More About Holidays
- November: More Celebrating || Week 2: Preparations || Week 3:Unplug the Christmas Machine || Week 4: Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?
- December: Responsible Celebrating (Advent) Week 1: Ten Tips for a Simpler, More Meaningful Christmas, #1-6 || Week 2: 10 Tips, #7-8 || Week 3: 10 Tips, #9-10+ || Week 4: Christmas, Kwanzaa, Holy Innocents
* * *
In addition to this podcast and its show notes, we post a weekly SLW! blog. We hope you’ll read and subscribe. The BLOG is the companion to our twice-a-month podcast. The content is different, though the subject is the same. Click on blog at the top of the show notes of any episode. Blog INDEX
Recent Responses to All SLW! Media
Welcome to the other podcast I co-host/produce, The Common Good Podcast.
SLW! Recommends Literacy Service
This service contains books (paper, eBooks, audio), video (DVD, internet), audio (CD, MP3), blogs, podcasts, sites. These are somewhat current resources. For classic resources, visit Study/Activity/Action Guides. For more ideas, go to Getting Started. Also see Champions of Simple Living and other worthwhile Links.
Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold) | Share the Joy of a Simpler Lifestyle Through Speeches, Workshops, Events, Study/Action Groups, Simplicity Circles and Social Media + BONUS: Social Media Supplement // Self-Starters Needed! // Free coaching for groups on the internet
Jubilee Economics / The OneEarth Project colleague Lee Van Ham’s book Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, part of The OneEarth Project. Also, hear The Common Good Podcast, which I co-host and produce. || NEW three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals || Conversation about The OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham, including TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 || Lee’s Slide Show || Lee’s new blog series Jubilee Is Bigger Than We’d Thought: Permeates Scripture, Addresses Today’s Crises
Share your thoughts on this podcast and this episode. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments below, then check
SUBSCRIBE for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — listen to episodes #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, to educate and inspire you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.
IMAGE: Spirit of Simplicity #3-A1445
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * firstname.lastname@example.org
Click ABOUT for Music and Cover Art Credits.
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.