Simple Living Works! Podcast
A 4-episode series drawn from Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? #20, Alternatives’ annual Advent/Christmas/Epiphany resource for individuals, families and congregations.
To find resources referenced in each episode, go to the links in the TEXT version of each item. All the items are linked below. Or use the search engine in window #4 at SimpleLivingWorks.org.
- Whatever Happened to Christmas?
- Why a Simpler Christmas?
- Weekly Family Time: How to Use These Reflections & Activities
- Let Us Have a Truly Christ-like Christmas
- Top 10 Uses of “Whose Birthday?”
- More Exciting, Helpful Ways to Use “Whose Birthday?”
- Going Beyond “Whose Birthday?”
- Alternative Giving: What Jesus Wants for Christmas
- This Season, Practice Christian Hospitality – Marilyn Sharpe
- St. Nick: The Real Santa Claus – A St. Nick Event – Bonnie Morgan
- Christmas Math – Meg Cox
- Christmas Poems: Poem – John Greenleaf Whittier
- The Promise of Advent: Gospel Nonviolence – Paul Amrhein
- Getting Beyond Trading – John Marty
- Giving BIG – A Modern Day Widow’s Mite – Peter W. Marty
- Do Not Conform, But Be Transformed – Anne Basye
- Christmas Poems: Advent Haiku #14 – Cathy Brechtelsbauer
- Savoring Christmas Letters – Leslye A. Korvola
- The Joy of Reading Aloud – Bruce Forbes
- Gift of Our Gifts – Mitch Harbison
- Extending the Joy – Joan Huguenard
- Away in a Stank Manger – Shane Claiborne
- Connecting at Christmas: A Memory of Warm Springs Chapel – Becky Garrison
- Twelve Days of Christmas Activity Envelopes – Barbara Howard
- Epiphany Celebration – Barbara Howard
- Simple Candle-Lighting Ritual - Meg Cox
- Breaking the Rules – Aiden Enns
* * *
Thanks to readers Angela and Matt.
* * *
WHOSE Birthday? #28, online edition for 2016.
* * *
* * *
See article about “Whose Birthday?” in fall edition of the national publication for ELCA leaders, Seeds for the Parish, p. 7.
* * *
The Simpler Living Daily NUDGE
- What Is The NUDGE? / How It Works / How Do It Get It: Send NUDGE to SimpleLivingWorks@Yahoo.com / How Do It Share It / More About Holidays
- June — Alternative Giving
- July — Money & Goods
- August: Personal Choices, Happiness, Fulfillment
- September: Non-conform Freely
- October: Sustenance
- November: More Celebrating || Week 2: Preparations || Week 3:Unplug the Christmas Machine || Week 4: Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?
* * *
In addition to this podcast and its show notes, we post a weekly SLW! blog. We hope you’ll read and subscribe. The BLOG is the companion to our twice-a-month podcast. The content is different, though the subject is the same. Click on blog at the top of the show notes of any episode. Blog INDEX
Recent Responses to All SLW! Media
Welcome to the other podcast I co-host/produce, The Common Good Podcast.
- Ep. 79: Lee Van Ham, Exec. Dir. of Jubilee OneEarth Economics, previews vol. 2 of his “Eden for the 21st Century” trilogy, entitled, “From Egos to Eden: Our Heroic Journey to Keep Earth Livable”
- Ep. 78: James Howard Kunstler, author, social critic, blogger, speaker
- The Ugly Food Project – Let’s Have an Ugly Food Thanksgiving
SLW! Recommends Literacy Service
This service contains books (paper, eBooks, audio), video (DVD, internet), audio (CD, MP3), blogs, podcasts, sites. These are somewhat current resources. For classic resources, visit Study/Activity/Action Guides. For more ideas, go to Getting Started. Also see Champions of Simple Living and other worthwhile Links.
Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – NOV.
Tony & Shane UncutThe complete 3-1/2 hour straight talk between Tony Campolo and Shane Claiborne about simple living and global justice — episodes 20-27.
Vicki Robin, Cecile Andrews, John de Graaf, Duane Elgin and more!
Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold) | Share the Joy of a Simpler Lifestyle Through Speeches, Workshops, Events, Study/Action Groups, Simplicity Circles and Social Media + BONUS: Social Media Supplement // Self-Starters Needed! // Free coaching for groups on the internet
Jubilee Economics / The OneEarth Project colleague Lee Van Ham’s book Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, part of The OneEarth Project. Also, hear The Common Good Podcast, which I co-host and produce. || NEW three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals || Conversation about The OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham || Lee’s Slide Show || Lee’s new blog series The Jubilee Debate Throughout the Bible.
Share your thoughts on this podcast and this episode. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments below, then check
SUBSCRIBE for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — listen to episodes #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, to educate and inspire you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.
IMAGE: Peter Marty, John Marty, Ann Basye, all courtesy of authors
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * email@example.com
Click ABOUT for Music and Cover Art Credits.
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.